Before I start forgetting the little funny things Silas and Avery do each day, I wanted to take a minute to get them on record. Life at this stage of 22 months is more fun than I could have imagined. How they come up with these things, I'll never know.
Twin Talk: Yes, this is real. I used to think this was only babbling... that kids might be communicating with a word or two made up. No! This is an entirely different language with exaggerated inflection and run-on sentences. I can't understand one word of it! I wish you could all hear them in their cribs each morning: (after Avery wakes Silas up) They are going non-stop - talking, debating, discussing something obviously very important. They only take a breath to laugh at each other.
Tickle Monster: I've never met a 2-year old that doesn't LOVE to be tickled... Silas and Avery are no different. They will both lie down in the floor as if to say "get me!, get me!". Not only do they like to be tickled, they chase and tickle each other. Little Miss Avery is a smidge quicker than Silas and it takes her about two laps around the kitchen or living room before she completes the tackle. They roll around and laugh and squeal and laugh a little more, all the while repeating "tickle, tickle, tickle..."
Speaking of collaborative mishief, these two somehow think it is fun to pretend like they're Tarzan and Jane... and they haven't even seen that movie yet! We've known for over a year now that leaving the room (i.e., even for a quick potty break) isn't a good idea with these little monkeys around since they easily find a way to get on top of the kitchen counters, etc. A few weeks ago, I walked in the door to find Tarzan and Jane (oh, I mean Silas and Avery) "calling/squealing" and swinging from the one set of drapes we have in the whole house. Guess they thought two panels = two kids. We then had a discussion of why this is inappropriate.
Both Silas and Avery have a few words besides 'twin talk': Daddy, Momma, ball, juice, shoes (Avery's favorite word and item of apparel), socks, on, off (Silas says 'off' as he tries to figure out how to get into any sealed container or drawer or DVD case), dog, cat... Avery says Silas' name "kikas" sweetly before she chases him around the house. I think she sometimes gets on his nerves. ha!
I've got to get better about catching a few of these moments on video. Silas still doesn't care much about the television, but Miss Avery will sometimes sit glued to the TV - her favorites are Kickey (Mickey), Angelina Ballerina, Sprout channel, and Looney Tunes. They both love Looney Tunes - in fact, as soon as that theme song starts, Silas and Avery stop what they're doing and bounce up and down and smile in sync ....
The proverbial shoe. Sunday shoe, that is. Everyone knows what I'm talking about. Still haven't found it.
Avery has been counting "one, two, three" for a few months now... but now she 'counts' everything! Her favorite number is "two". Imagine with me:
Me: "Avery, how old are you? Are you this many (holding up one finger)"
Avery: "two..." (with a long, drawn out southern drawl)
Me: "Avery are you one (holding up one finger)"
Avery: "tttwwwwoooo..."
Or... true story:
Me: "Avery, sit down in that chair please. We SIT in chairs."
Avery: giggle. smiles as she leans forward holding on to the armrests.
Me: "Avery, get down. You know better than that."
Avery: ignores.
Me: "I'm going to give you three seconds. One..... "
Avery: "TTTWWWOOOO".
Oh geesh.
Still working on the whole discipline thing. Advice is welcomed and appreciated.
Both Silas and Avery now give hugs and kisses - it's so sweet. They tell each other good night every night with a little head butt and a kiss on the cheek. They adore each other! (see video posted previously for bathtub hugs and kisses)
They both love music which makes their Momma's heart smile! They'll sing "twinkle, twinkle little star...", "angels watching over me...", "He's got the whole world in His hands...", "you are my sunshine...", "ring around the rosie..." (they love that one so they can fall down), "hot dog, hot dog..." (from the digitized Mickey Mouse clubhouse show), "Jesus Loves Me..." just to name a few. Avery and I were lying down the other night at her bedtime (improving somewhat, still a challenge)... I was singing "Jesus loves me" to her and she was humming along with her sweet loving eyes looking into mine... it was such a moment... until she stuck her fingers up my nose. No lie. She thought it was hilarious.
Silas and Avery laugh all day. There is truly no better sound in the world than kids with their tickle box turned over - you can't help but smile (and wish you were in on the fun:-)... and some things are, well, just plain funny.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletePosted a comment---couldn't get it to publish...Tried again...It published, along with first one...Deleted 2nd one, which deleted first one, also...Clear as mud??...Thank you so much for blogging and letting us hear about those precious babies..Look forward to seeing y'all maybe the next time you are in Grenada...LY all
Delete