Thursday, December 31, 2015

Christmas 2015

We've been counting down for Christmas holidays for days and days… and here it is!  Samuel has been a good sport… he is up for it as long as Silas and Avery are doing it. He looked at the tree standing still for about 3 seconds (as long as he ever stands still) and almost shrugged his shoulders as if to say "whatever. but okay." He has climbed into Santa's lap if Silas and Avery are with him and just laughs and pulls the beard and sometimes touches his nose saying, "nose".  (just because he likes that, I guess - ha!)  What Samuel (and Silas and Avery) have probably enjoyed the most is all the extra treats from school and parties and at home that come around. Samuel needs no reassurance in eating and asking for more;-)

The way the holidays fell with work schedules were the best one could ask for.  Christmas Eve, I was off and enjoyed a wonderful day full of fun things with the fam. The whole family joined us for the Candlelight service at FBCJ. We tried to get a group pic, and this is the best we could do.  Samuel loves wearing hats like Silas did when he was two.  We'll see how long that lasts.

Christmas Eve marked 3 months home as a family of 5!  (I should probably say 6, ha!, but poor Millie has NOT won Samuel over. Samuel crawls around on all fours in the house, panting, and "ruffing"…wants to like dogs so badly… just still scared to death of the real deal.  Small strides, right?)  

Having Samuel here brings another dynamic close to our hearts in celebrating Christmas - Jesus' birthday and life here on earth and ultimately the cross IS the reason we ALL can be adopted as sons and daughters of God.  

People have asked if he celebrated Christmas in China. From my understanding, some of the "westernized" cities like Beijing, Guangzhou, Shanghai - might know more of what Christmas is, but Samuel's province really doesn't celebrate much of it at all. What's funny is that as we were in Zhengzhou (the capital of his province, Henan), we would hear what sounded like an ice cream truck coming down the busy busy streets. It played Christmas music like Jingle Bells and Hark the Herald. Imagine those in ice cream truck bell tones.  I asked our guide where it was… he said, "oh that's the street cleaner", the truck that sweeps and sprays the streets.  I asked why in the world they play Christmas music and he said, "I guess they just think it's a good tune." Funny. 

The kids did great during the service and their favorite part is always the candle lighting at the end. Lord have mercy, wouldn't you know it that Samuel WOULD get the BIGGEST flame in there… ha.  And, the wax guard was lost at some point. I'm singing, "Silent night, holy night… please don't burn my hair…or your hand or the lady in front of us…"

Mimi and Papaw and the Sturdivant crew came to our house afterwards - the kids were beyond excited. Samuel was beyond excited too… just because the others were.  It didn't take him long to figure out the opening package business and he loved his presents from the family.



"Mine? Really?"
 Mimi and Papaw and the Sturdivants left to go home and we started settling in. After putting out Santa and the reindeer's treats, we actually got in bed earlier than I thought we would (yay!) and hoped Santa would come.

Looks like he made it!  What a fun morning. Man, if I could freeze them in time right now…






After playing with Santa's gifts, we packed up and tried to get out the door to drive to TN.  I think we've decided #3 adds 30 minutes to planned time getting out of the house. At least.  We finally got off and made it to Jackson, TN.  I love this picture of Moppy and Poppy with their SEVEN great-grands!!

Cousin Sammie took all on a golf cart ride. (bravely)

And we learned Samuel was quite the karaoke fan. Amazing how he just fits right in.  ha!

Avery has been talking about having her oatmeal with peanut butter like Poppy for months and months.  We can't have peanut butter in our house due to Silas' allergy, so she LOVES to eat Poppy's breakfast with him.

And oh  my… Samuel touched a dog!!  I don't know whose dog this is, but it comes around some and moves VERY slowly and really doesn't move much at all… but Samuel touched him.  Making progress!

These two are peas in a pod.  Born 2 days apart. I hope they're always this close!

Of course, this kid might have had the most fun of all with the super long shot crossbows.

And… Avery picked her dream car apparently. She sweet talked Gay-Gay into going to the "nail shop".  They rode by several times just to wave. :-)

We did get a chance to go with Pop to visit his sister Opal. She is 94 and lives by herself in Medon. Poppy is one of 13 and Opal is his only sister still here. She has been so sweet to pray for Samuel and we wanted her to meet all the kids.  Moppy told Avery "Avery, you're going to go meet Poppy's sister. She is really old." Avery excitedly interjected, "Ah! Are we going to heaven!?!" hahaha.  Then… we walked in and she said her name was Avery then "why do you wear your pajamas all day"?  Have mercy.


Samuel loves a snack in Poppy's lap!

And we can't visit without swimming.

We only had one party foul… I hear Avery's voice from the garage, "Mommy, Silas is crying"… like I hear several times a day that one of them is upset. So I walked into the big playroom and there was blood everywhere… he had apparently fallen and hit his face on the karaoke machine which has a disco ball on top.  Bless his heart. After getting things under control… nothing that a little skin glue and steri strips couldn't fix.  I guess they'll be in my purse from now on for contingencies.

And Moppy and Poppy gave Silas drums… yes, they are upstairs. and Yes, they are loud. But they love them.  Usually one is on the guitar, one on the drums and one is yelling into a microphone…
I know what I'm asking for… for early Mother's Day…



No comments:

Post a Comment