We did have a little fire off to the side. Silas and Avery followed Papaw everywhere and watched him like a hawk starting the fire and taking care of the fire. This is where little reserved Silas begins to ask questions: What makes that box melt? Why is it burn and not melt? Why does paper float up and why is it so hot? Why do I have to stand here? and not there?
The fire pit masters:
While Samuel napped, I took Silas and Avery exploring in the woods where I spent so much time as a kid. We had so much fun talking about how my friends and I would spend all day in the creek and at the waterfall, going on adventures… we looked for deer, animals, (ants… for Avery who is ant-phobic), all sorts of things.
We made it to the old waterfall. It's a little smaller these days than 25 years ago, but still there! I told them we used to swim in that hole and they just said, "Why?"
These two. Caught them holding hands walking back across the levee.
The FIRE.
A few hours later it was time to start the roasting. This was a first for Samuel and Avery. Papaw made a little pile of coals for their hotdogs. Notice Avery's face shield. No explanation necessary.
With Mimi - the feast preparer:-)
Next… marshmallows! Samuel was having a blast!!
And even more so with a amore. I think he might have eaten four.
The New Year miracle. Again, notice Avery's covers.
New years, new beginnings, new chapters, every day is a gift. Each year brings about a new awareness of this. We talked on the way home January 2nd (well, Bruce and I talked, see picture above) and decided our family goals for 2016 were to sit more, worry less, watch more sunsets, eat more meals at the "big table" and savor every second with these precious gifts. God didn't owe us any of them.
I'm trying to start the year and really put forth effort for healthier family meals. While eating one night, Silas said, "why? wait, I know we eat too much junk food." (wonder where he has head that…) Then he said "you're making me lose my muscles making me eat this."
Meanwhile Avery yells with her arm in the air, "Cheers to God and Santa!"
On one drive home from church (where arguing is notoriously common), I told Avery I had eyes in the back of my head. She was actually a little concerned and said, "Mommy, well you need to go to doctor then…if you have eyes in the back of your head."
Silas did learn to tie his own shoes over the break! He is so proud of his perfect double knots. He confidently says "Mommy, I tie shoes. Avery reads words." Yes, little buddy, but hate to break it to you… you'll both learn to do both…













No comments:
Post a Comment