Friday, April 10, 2015

Mr. Goodbar and Manic Mondays

Monday, Silas and Avery were out of school, enjoying a fun day.  About 2:15, Elizabeth (Sue Sue), their babysitter called frantic - saying something about Silas and allergic reaction and throwing up everywhere and he was screaming... told her to call 911 and both Bruce and I sped up the interstate to get there.

I don't think I breathed once (okay, maybe twice) during that flying 14 minute trip (usually 20 minutes) with my hazard lights on... we know he is allergic to peanuts and we have an Epi pen at home, but all I could see was Silas having a hard time breathing, scared, scratching all over...  it was a looooooong 14 minutes. I prayed the ambulance would be there. I prayed SueSue just overreacted (highly unlikely). I prayed he just had the stomach virus.... so many things... I did call on the way again and she said he was "breathing okay" but was "maroon all over". 

Bruce and I pulled in about the same time to the house. The fire truck was there with a few police cars and the paramedics had him sitting on the couch with the oxygen mask on and the oximeter on his finger. He was calm and looked at us with his eyes as if to say, "Yeah, where have YOU been." Bless his heart.  The paramedics said his O2 sats were fine and he seemed stable for us to drive him to the ER in lieu of the fancy chariot (ambulance).  Little buddy was still covered in hives otherwise pretty calm, but obviously tired and shaken. I held him while Bruce went to get his shoes - I asked SueSue to go thru the eggs from his basket on the table and she eventually found an empty Mr. Goodbar wrapper.  Bingo.  Mr. Goodbars aren't so good for those allergic to peanuts. He had obviously found it somewhere (GG and her nanny know about his allergy and had hidden all the candy with nuts!)...

We loaded into my car to head to Batson.  Oh, and meanwhile, Avery slept through the WHOLE thing!!  She was still sound asleep when we left... they sleep in the same room... amazing. 
Sweet Silas had three questions (really his first words to us since we'd been there) when we left.  First, "But Mommy, who's going to keep Avery?"  I said SueSue would be there with her.
Second, "But Mommy, who's going to clean up my mess"  Awwww, my sweet little man couldn't think of anything but that in this instant?! God bless him.
Third and valid question, "But Mommy, why did the ambulance come in the fire truck??" 
After I tried to say something that made sense, he rested all the way downtown. 

Batson was wonderful (as always) and had him back within seconds of us signing in.  After medicine and a few hours observation, we went home that night.  Praise God for him being okay.  I did check on him every few hours during the night and gave benedryl every 6 hours for 24 hours... and he is fine.  

Whew, I just thought I knew what Manic Mondays were. Now I have a whole new perspective. 

 
 
This reminds me of another favorite saying of Silas'.  He and Avery were talking about dressing up in a costume for something and I heard him tell her, "I only like Halloween because that's when I get candy."  Bless him.  Chocolate really is his love language. 
 
And he did ask me the next morning, "Mommy does my muffing have nuts in it?"  Poor guy, no, I did not put nuts in your muffin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment