Sunday, October 16, 2011

Would you hold, please?

Don't you hate it when someone says that?

Thursday's appointments in Houston went really well. Dr. Ross was very pleased with my scar and how 'well I'd healed' and didn't even take the stitches out since surgery was scheduled for the 21st. He took some fluid off which made my leg feel better and I went on with the day: MRI brain and CTs of chest, abdomen, and pelvis. We flew home Thursday night and crashed.

I got up Friday morning early to get ready for work, got dressed, and felt like I might faint. Told the clinic I'd be a little late and decided to lie down and try to feel better. I called Houston at 8am (Houston, we have a problem...) and explained what was going on and they told me to go straight to the ER, that I might be getting an infection. In other news, the MRI brain and CTs were all good! (i.e. no cancer seen there)

Turns out, yes, a nasty infection had popped up in less than 12 hours. The doctors decided there was no choice Friday afternoon but to have surgery to clean everything out. So darn, looks like everything else will be put on hold for a little while.

As of now, I'm still in the hospital on IV antibiotics, praying the infection begins to subside. I'm also praying MD Anderson will go ahead with the lymph node surgery as soon as possible even though there is a big open hole in my leg. We know the surgery won't be the 21st as originally planned, but really no idea when it will/can be done. I'm being optimistic and praying hard it'll be done in a week.

I keep looking at Bruce and asking, "is this really happening?" How could life a month ago be so different? Why in the world do mr. melanoma and mrs. infection think they have some right to come in and totally disrupt our life?! Over the past 3 whirlwind weeks, I've been reminded many times of the passage in John 9. Jesus and his disciples passed a blind man on the road. The disciples asked Jesus why that man was blind... was it because the man or his parents had sinned? Jesus was quick to answer no, of course not. This man is blind so that "the works of God can be displayed in him".

No, cancer is not from God. Neither are holding penalties from infections (we're watching football right now). As tempting as it is to dwell on the 'why' all is happening, we mustn't. We know the answer: So that God can be glorified. That's all.

7 comments:

  1. I will confess that I have asked myself that same question about you..."why did her life go from picture perfect to this in such a short time". I have even asked God "why"???...thank you, sweet girl, for the answer. I can't wait to see what He is going to do through you. I will be praying for Him to strengthen all of you as He works out His plan.

    "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know"...Jeremiah 33:3 Nevertheless, I will bring health and healing, I will heal my people and will let them enjoy abundant peace and security. (v6). Then, this city will bring me renown, joy, praise and honor before all nations on earth that hear of all the good things I do for it"... (v9)

    Meredith...you are bring Him praise before all of the nations.

    Much love to you,
    Lanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is ,"WOW!" You are so awesome and so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is it that when we desire to help you, you minister to us? That is the grace and power of God working in and through you.

    Just know.... you are loved; you are being prayed for every day, every hour; God has a plan even in the midst of this terrible disruption of your life; we are trusting in Him for your healing.

    Praying for you all, sweet Meredith, Bruce, Silas & Avery.

    Love, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meredith, I used to work at Grandview with your mom. My office was in the therapy room on the far end and I remember you growing up. Know that you and your family are in my prayers. I love reading your blog and keeping up with how your babies are growing. Keep the faith, God has a plan. You are on our prayer list at Friendship. Sue Weir

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you so much Meredith! Praying that this infection will go away soon so that you can have this remaining surgery! Stay strong sweet girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must admit that turning over whatever our circumstances are to God, and praying that He receive all glory is one of the sweetest life lessons He has taught me in my journey here on planet earth. Waiting each day to see glimpses of Him in the middle of the storm and being in TOTAL reliance on Him for even our next breath......and knowing that....well, it is a great place to be when you want to know Him better and love Him more.
    Please know, Meredith and Bruce, that not a day passes that you are not in our thoughts throughout the day and most assuredly our prayers. Walking alongside you and watching you live out your faith will be a gift to all of us....and yes, TO GOD BE ALL GLORY
    Beverly and Walter Shelton

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meredith,

    Diane and I are praying for you and your precious family! Your humor amid the storm shows that your anchor holds and grips the solid rock. We will be constantly holding the ropes on your behalf.

    Blessings and love,
    Mark Robbins

    ReplyDelete