Operation Sleep, Avery update: She slept through one of the last four nights - yay! Of course, the conversation in our bedroom that night went a little like this:
1:30am
Meredith: Where is the video monitor? Are they ok? Can you see them both breathing?
Bruce: Yes. For the 100th time, they are fine! Stop waking me up.
Meredith: I just feel like I need to check on them.
Bruce: Go to sleep.
2 hours later...
Bruce: I can't believe they're still asleep.
Meredith: shhhhh. I'm trying to sleep.
Bruce: I'm just waiting for Avery to wake up.
Meredith: Go to sleep.
2 hours later... (5:30am)
Meredith: oh holy moly. they did it!!
BUT, the past 2 nights, she seems to love (or hate) the hours of 2am to 4am. She screams her ever-lovely head off for 2 hours. The most impressive thing is that Silas sleeps through it all. Kudos, buddy!
I have determined these long hours of heart-wrenching cries to be my time to pray for Silas and Avery. If I can't get up to get them, and I'm out of Kleenex for myself, the next best thing is to pray for them, (right?)... in awe of the many, many, undeserved blessings He has provided... there are so many people in this world who just wish they could hear their children or be up with them in the middle of the night. I pray for their hearts, their future spouses, their health, their future decisions, their self-esteems, their dreams... and how it humbles me to think God has trusted His perfect gifts to Bruce and me to somehow guide or point them in the right direction... to teach them to love Christ, to treasure Him. wow.
Yesterday, we had the privilege of playing with Mark Harris, the singer/songwriter, while he led worship for FBCJackson. One of the songs he sang was his hit from a few years ago, Find Your Wings. I knew the song then, but of course, what new meaning it has now that we have children of our own! Here are the lyrics:
FIND YOUR WINGS
by Mark Harris
It's only for a moment you are mine to hold
The plans that heaven has for you
Will all too soon unfold
So many different prayers I'll pray
For all that you might do
But most of all I'll want to know
You're walking in the truth
And If I never told you
I want you to know
As I watch you grow
I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams
And that faith gives you the courage
To dare to do great things
I'm here for you whatever this life brings
So let my love give you roots
And help you find your wings
May passion be the wind
That leads you through your days
And may conviction keep you strong
Guide you on your way
May there be many moments
That make your life so sweet
Oh, but more than memories
I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams
And that faith gives you the courage
To dare to do great things
I'm here for you whatever this life brings
So let my love give you roots
And help you find your wings
It's not living if you don't reach for the sky
I'll have tears as you take off
But I'll cheer as you fly
I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams
And that faith gives you the courage
To dare to do great things
I'm here for you whatever this life brings
So let my love give you roots
And help you find your wings
You know Silas and Avery, you can just stop growing up now. Ok, kidding. Oh what fun times we have to come. Thank you, Jesus, for Your blessings.
A precious tribute from a wonderful young mother! Thanks, too, for posting that video and the lyrics. I, too, was so touched by the lyrics for our children/grandchildren. That should be the prayer and heart's desire of every person with a child in their life.
ReplyDeleteLove your blog...Thanks for sharing your days and NIGHTS with us..Hope to see you all soon..Love you
ReplyDeleteI love those twins!!! They are so wonderful..... Tomorrow is my first day with Hardin....pray for Amy Hardin, she will be miserable all day! Hardin and I will be having fun!
ReplyDeleteI think Avery and Chaz are secretly talking to each other and playing during the middle of the night!
ReplyDeleteLove this song... thanks for the tears! :) Let's plan a weekend in Oxford with all the kids this Spring!
Loved your thoughts (and a peek into one of your nights) Meredith. SO true. We are so very blessed...now just to remember to think that when we're up at 2am...and every other hour and a half during the nights. :)
ReplyDelete