Sunday, August 17, 2014

Silas and Avery go to Pre-K

Drumroll, please!  Here we go, off to Pre-K!  Silas and Avery have been excited to start their new school - and the day has come… we spent time over the weekend putting on the uniforms, as I did anticipate a little tiff or two regarding the required clothing choices of the day (namely, the shoes), but we laid out everything the night before and they were excited to wear their "new clothes"!


Look at these growing kiddos… how did this happen!?


I'm so glad they have each other - they are in the same class this first year which makes transitions much easier of course!



We actually got in the car and left on time, which was better than what I'd planned for!  On the first day, they allow moms to walk their kids into the room and forego the carpool line.  I asked Silas and Avery on the way what they would rather do, and they both wanted me to walk them in (whew! not too grown up yet!).  As we pulled onto the school's street, they saw the children already there playing on the playground.  Avery's words were priceless:  "Aww, Mommy, they all have on MY dress!"  
I didn't know what to say.  I just chuckled.  "Yes, sweetie, they do".  Of note, nothing was said of the boys' apparel.  

I walked them to their room and Avery waltzed in as if she owned the place.  Of course.  Silas hung onto my leg and said "Mom, I don't want you to go."  I leaned in and whispered what we'd already talked about on the way (no tears, this is going to be fun!) and he walked bravely on inside the room.  I quickly turned and took a deep breath and started back out to my car.  I turned back for just a peek and saw Silas leaning his head out of the room saying "Bye, bye, Mom!" and then Avery followed "I lub you Mommy!"  So sweet.  

I picked them up at 11:45 - they loved it.  I survived it.  We are all okay.  (wink).  We enjoyed a fun lunch at Chick-a-lay (as they call it) and a fun afternoon of playing.  The second day, we had to get up earlier since I was going back to work - carpool wasn't too bad… until our time to get out.  I leaned into the backseat to unlatch their carseats and Avery got right on out.  Silas had a meltdown… "Mommy, I want YOU to get me out, Please Mommy!" After failed negotiating and cars lined up behind us, I violated rules and got out of the car, helped him out of his seat, and he said "Mommy, I NEED to give you a hug"… "Mommy I need to give you a kiss"… "Mommy please don't leave me! Don't leave me!"  Ouch, bless my heart (and his, of course)… I had to drive away and it about killed me.  I knew he would be fine.  And of course, he was.  The rest of the week was no problem. 

After school every day, when I got home from work, I'd ask them what they learned or talked about that day. In true teenager fashion, they said, "nofing."  Gee, thanks kids.  I'm learning that I can infer somewhat of what they are doing - for example, yesterday, the play theme was Emergency and they each were rushing into the room in the house where the fire seemed to be, armed with their hoses and pretend swords - yelling, "It's an emergency! Call the fire truck!  Get your hoses ready!  It's an emergency, where's the fire?!" and on, and on, and on.  I suppose maybe the Dalmation room discussed about fire hydrants, fire trucks, emergencies… who knows.  

I know they've loved every day.  We have tried to get outside in the evenings this week for little walks and about 100 feet from the house the other night, Avery said "Mommy, I can't do it… my legs are tye-wad."  Tired.  I bet you are, my little chatterbox!

But at night when I lie down with them for a few minutes before bed, Silas and I were talking. I asked him who he sat by in class and he said "I don't know". I asked if it was a boy or a girl and he said "girl". I asked her name and he said "I don't know"… then he began to tell me about music class and how the teacher made another girl come sit beside him, "Lindsey. Mom, you put your tongue on your toof, L, L, Lindsey. Lindsey sat by me while we sing."  Ah, of course little buddy.  

What a week.  Silas and Avery are loving school - we knew they would… I can't believe they've started real school (I know it's only preschool) but I keep thinking they'll be in school every year for the next 20 years or so… a new phase.  It might be a new chapter, but my prayer for them remains the same:  Lord, keep them safe, guard their hearts, spirits, and minds and may they learn to know You, trust You, and truly treasure You.  I pray they never remember a time when they didn't know God and didn't feel secure.  "I pray for them….. for they are Yours" John 17:9.  

No comments:

Post a Comment