Whistler, BC has been one of my wish lists for skiing for awhile.... and we finally planned a trip this year! The week after Easter, 7 of us took off to Canada, Eh, and I, for one, am hooked on the VAST expanse of terrain and awesome ski village. (for reference, I did a cross comparison with our fav spots in Colorado and Utah: Park City/Deer Valley had 15 out of 16 lifts open, Winter Park had 19 lifts open, Alta/Snowbird had 13 lifts open, Whistler/Blackcomb had 36 of 37 lifts open... HUGE) The other difference is the base elevation: whereas the Rockies in the USA are about 7,000 feet above sea level at the base of the mountains and 15,000 feet at the peaks... Whistler Village is a mere 2,000 feet at the base and 7,800 at the highest peak... so basically I can fasten my ski boots without panting or gasping for air... well, sometimes.
Here is our 2013 group (minus Brian Fugler, who would join us the next day):
This was the top of the "7th Heaven"... and on this particular day, from the base of the mountain and even mid-mountain, conditions looked to be cloudy and dreary - but halfway up this lift, skies opened up and it really was as if we had entered the heavens - God's handiwork and illustrations are truly awe-inspiring... which is one of the reasons my absolute favorite place on earth is on top of the mountains...
On the Peak 2 Peak Gondola between Whistler and Blackcomb mountains:
T-bar background story: Those who have skied with me know that I absolutely love to ski - most of the mountain... but there is something I've never been able to do (which has haunted me for years...): the T-bar lift. For some reason, I just could never get the hang of it (just ask John Cofer or Josh Daly) - it's really pretty comical. I think it's Copper Mountain or Winter Park - I would try the dang thing three or four times then fall off to the side every time then ski away in frustration... every year. I'm not going to tell a story - I was really nervous when I saw Whistler has 4 t-bar lifts at the peaks. My heart was racing while waiting in the short lines (with everyone watching) and I tried to be brave... Bruce was giggling as we hobbled to the loading line as I was telling him my t-bar history ... the bar came up behind us quickly and as I was falling off (again), the liftie was yelling "stand up!, stand up!"... I stood up and it was like magic - we were riding! Too funny. I was really nervous the whole ride up while Kathryn captured the moments on camera:

A little Apres Ski ...
Meanwhile, Silas and Avery were staying with Mimi most of the week and Mop and Gay Gay too... they were soooo kind to stay with them. Bruce and I missed them terribly... Silas and Avery had so much fun, I wonder if they missed us?!
Somebody wants to go next year... !!


















No comments:
Post a Comment